Friday 21 June 2013

We have an office "rule" that we explain to all new hires - when it is your birthday, you have to bring in birthday cake for everyone (good deal!).  As we have 18 staff in our office, we get cake a lot.  It has evolved into more than cake as we try to out do the last treat (e.g. ice cream sundaes with all the toppings, the most delicious chocolate cake from Whole Foods - healthy, right?).

Today was one of those days, and the birthday treat was an ice cream/fruit mixture enjoyed by everyone except me and my CF colleague (who is still battling a big sugar monster) - but he resisted too.  I didn't find it hard to resist as much as I love ice-cream (the Dairy Queen is still across the street), but I have been feeling so good I didn't want to mess that up - it wasn't worth it to me (today).


My adorable 16-year old grandson Alex is here for the weekend. Our house is gluten-free so we don't have to worry about what we eat, because that is what Alex should eats too, and no cross-contamination to deal with.  In the past, even though I learned about diabetes, celiac disease, gluten-free cooking and the dangers of cross-contamination so we didn't make him sick, it was had to watch every bit of food because we had so many "dangerous" foods in the house.  Much easier now that we eat gluten-free too.

The Day 14 motivational/check-in video is about spicing up your food for the remaining two weeks of the challenge and the video at the end is stupid/funny - ever heard of Glozell?  The Clothes Makes the Girl and Nom Nom Paleo both have lots of spice mixture suggestions on their blogs (e.g. my favourite Magic Mushroom Powder).

Paleo Grandad was sawing logs when I got up at 6:00 a.m. this morning, but I put together my breakfast and lunch and headed of to work at 6:45 a.m.

I won't lie - I did not walk at lunch today - so many fires to put out, I didn't want the place to burn down.  Unfortunately, that is my usual excuse.  Part of my motivation for yesterday's blog was that today was supposed to be my day off, I cancelled it because I have so much work to do - really dumb.  Do you notice how you can almost kill yourself getting the job done (which you think should earn you some respect) - but gets you treated disrespectfully - or is that only me?  All you retired baby boomers out there - smart people.

Anyhoooo...I did have lunch - leftover Pork Hodge Podge (and no birthday ice cream).

Dinner for a growing teenager (and Paleo Grandad) was rib-eye steak, cauli-mash and kale chips.  The first time for kale chips and cauli-mash, but he liked both.
I am off to teach Adorable Alex how to make Paleo ice cream.  See you tomorrow.

Do you think it is weird that Google Blogger doesn't have the word "blog" in spell check?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF