Monday 17 June 2013

Day 10 of the Whole30 and the first day of the work week.  I'm not sure if it is the Whole30 kicking in for me, or if it is Monday (raise your hand if you are a fan of Monday's - not me) but I was feeling tired today and not too energetic.  I have a very mentally energetic job, so not a good combination. Hopefully a good night's sleep will take care of that.

I have spent years on Zopiclone to help me sleep, though it never works that well and I was still only getting between four and six hours sleep per night taking it.  Since starting the Paleo diet I have been able to cut the nightly dosage in half and get anywhere from six to eight hours.  I had not been able to get rid of the Zopiclone entirely but, over the past ten days, I have cut the dosage in half and am still getting between six and eight hours most nights.  I am going to eliminate it entirely this weekend and see if I can sleep without it.

So, if you have to take pills for sleep, depression or other ailments, eating the Paleo way may help you lower the dosage or eliminate the pills entirely - of course, never do this without getting your doctor's support - I'm just sharing what worked for me.


The Whole30 motivational/check-in email today is about eating out and sticking to the plan when you travel. The authors talk about Paleo-izing their menu choices at their favourite regular restaurant (like a Cactus Club, or Keg) by asking questions about how the foods are cooked and asking for oil and balsamic vinegar for their salads - has anyone tried that in a Lower Mainland restaurant?  I haven't but we are going to eat out this coming weekend and I'm going to give it a try.

Our grandson, adorable Alex (he is 16 so he isn't going to like that adjective!), is coming to stay for the weekend.  Alex was diagnosed with diabetes when he was not quite three years old and, soon after, was also diagnosed with celiac disease, so we have spent 14 years eating with Alex and we have learned to choose restaurants that you can probably get a gluten-free meal, though most restaurants still don't know what true gluten-free and cross-contamination mean.  Paleo is totally gluten-free, so we will need to choose the right restaurant for all of us.  Alex likes to cook too, so we will make some good Paleo meals together.

I have to tell you about the meals today - all good and the only time I was hungry was when I realized that it was 12:45 p.m. and I hadn't eaten yet.

I am eliminating eggs this week to see if, first of all, if they are causing my eczema and to see if I stay full all morning after having a breakfast without them - it seems that there is an improvement in both areas.

My egg-less breakfast consisted of roast beef slices, sauerkraut, almonds, carrots and cucumber and, of course, coffee.

Lunch (at 12:45 p.m!) was leftover roast chicken and leftover kobucha squash.


Remember those radishes I picked up at the Steveston Farmer's Market yesterday?  I found a recipe on Pinterest pinned from The Primalist (you have to see the picture on their site - they found rainbow radishes and it looks like a dish of Easter eggs - beautiful).  I just had regular garden variety (ha!) radishes, but the recipe was so easy I had to try it.  We had never had cooked radishes so this was an experiment that turned out to be a new favourite.  If you've never roasted a radish (or you thought you don't like radishes), you have to try this.

Just wash, stem and quarter the radishes if they are large.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, stir well, and the  roast at 350 degrees for half an hour.

I re-heated the leftover cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with caper relish from the other night.

The protein was some pan-fried pork chops, braised in bone broth and topped with fresh thyme.

The radishes (and the rest!) were wonderful - roasting sweetens them up - 4 strips of bacon out of 5 from Paleo Grandad on the radishes.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF