Wednesday 5 June 2013

I  choose to use most of my vacation to shorten my work week (it gives me more time to blog and cook) and I am lucky enough to have a job that lets me do that.  I usually take Fridays off but Fridays at work are usually quieter and I can get a lot more done, so I thought I would try having Wednesday's off for the month of June.  Work two days, have one day off, and work two more days, then off for the weekend sounds good doesn't it.

Today is my first Wednesday off and so far so good - but I have so many things I want to do in a day that I haven't stopped yet!  The first pleasure of the day was to read the new 'zine that arrived on my iPad yesterday.  I found Paleo Magazine when I was recovering from my fall down the stairs and got a year's electronic subscription.  It is not a big 'zine, but I find the articles and recipes really great and look forward to receiving the next issue.  Unfortunately, it is an American magazine and all the ads are for Paleo products from suppliers that don't ship to Canada.


This issue was particularly interesting as they previewed another Paleo blog that I enjoy Paleoista (there is a link on my home page if you want to check it out), and an article on the benefits of kombucha which I also make and enjoy.  There is also an article on adrenal fatigue that makes a lot of sense.  If you are interested in the 'zine, I got it through Zinio.  Reading all the Paleo blogs, books, website and the magazine keep me inspired and motivated, though I continue to feel so much better that, other than occasional slips (i.e. visit to Mom and Dad!), I stay on track 99% of the time.

Paleo Grandad picked up our meat order at Seafair Gourmet Meats yesterday, and as the only vegetable left in the house was a butternut squash, breakfast was fried bacon, butternut squash with two free-range eggs on top.  The butternut squash carmelizes when you cook it in a small amount of bacon fat and the crispy bacon and tasty eggs make a great breakfast.

Then it was off to Kin's to stock up on vegetables for the week.  I decided to try the Kin's at Blundell Centre  for a change, but I don't think I will again.  You would think that all Kin's are the same but the vegetables in this store where not as good, nor did they have the dried porcini mushrooms I need for Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom powder - my favourite seasoning.

This is what a week's (probably plus if we eat out one night) vegetables looks like for two of us - total cost of $55.93:

Dinosaur kale for salads, kale chips and Hodge Podge

Strawberries, blueberries and cherries (all from California - darn), for something sweet.

Watermelon, lemon, limes and cucumber for juice.

Brussels sprouts for stir fry and shredded cabbage/carrot mixture for stir fry and oil and vinegar coleslaw.

Bananas for Paleo ice cream (when they are a lot riper than this)

Kohlrabi for snacking and rutabaga for stir fry breakfasts (yes - breakfast!)

Mushrooms for smothered pork chops.

Sweet potatoes for stir fry and baked sweet potato fries - to go with the ribs that are cooking right now.

Cauliflower for cauli-rice, cauli-mash and baked cauliflower.

I chopped up the sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and rutabaga so they are ready to cook when  I get home from work.
A guacamole kit for $3.99 - for lunch today with some beef jerky.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF