Wednesday 26 June 2013

 Wednesday, my day-off, and Day 19 of my Whole30 challenge.  Both are going really fast.
I didn't blog yesterday - a bit of writers block - a hard day at work does that to me.

I like to get up early on my days off and look at all my favourite Paleo blogs to see what they are doing.  If you haven't looked at any Paleo blogs (except Paleo Granny, of course), you should have a look.  Not only are they are wealth of information, I find them to be great motivators and sources for new recipes to keep it interesting.

Paleo Parents are talking about their new cookbook, Beyond Bacon - out on pre-order now (my copy is on the way!).  Watch for a review in my book section - the U.S. Paleo community is raving about it so I am excited to try the recipes.  Paleo Grandad and I are big fans of pork (see tonight's dinner below).  We buy good quality, humanely raised pork.  It costs more, but the taste is worth it.


PaleOMG talks about body image and self-esteem issues and how we are too hard on ourselves.  She is young, gorgeous, has a great sense of humour and has a lot of great recipes, but I guess that doesn't always translate into self-confidence.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have body image issues.  In our office of 18 people, we are all on some sort of food plan and some are doing better than others (me!), but we all think we could look "better" - compared to...???  I would be lying if I said I didn't want to be slimmer, but the health issues I am eliminating or reducing with Paleo are certainly keeping me heading in the right direction.

The Clothes Make the Girl has a podcast posted also discussing body image issues, a lifelong burden of weight problems and how she improved her life despite having her thyroid removed - very inspiring.  She is not a baby boomer, she is 45, but her story is interesting.  I know, strange name for a Paleo blog, but she started off blogging about fashion.

The Paleoista talks about calories in snack food e.g. 100 calorie packs of sweet snacks and reminds us that it is not about calories, it is about the quality of the food you put in your body.  Milk chocolate pretzels - 100 calories of bad fat, sugar, white flour and a bunch of chemicals you don't want if you are looking for better health.

Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple asks "Is obesity a disease?  He presents a very interesting argument you might want to check out.

Elana Amsterdam of Elana's Pantry doesn't blog in the conventional sense, but she posts a lot of great recipes - she has a cookbook coming out too.  Need an idea for all that zucchini you are going to have in your garden this summer?  Her recipe today is for Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread (not a Whole30 recipe), so save it for a treat later.

Civilized Caveman Cooking published an Almond Butter Banana cookie recipe yesterday.  Again not Whole30, but save it for when you need a cookie recipe.

Nom Nom Paleo has some great rainbow chard pictures and is developing some new recipes for chard.  Her recipes usually have an Asian theme - so tasty.

The Paleo Mom posted a recipe for Lemon-Tarragon Chicken yesterday and I built on it to create the Truffle Lemon Tarragon Chicken I created for dinner last night (posted it on Instagram too).

If reading all this doesn't get you going, I don't know what will.

I have put the menus for what we ate yesterday and today under the Whole30 Menus tab, so I will just give you the highlights:
Truffle Lemon Tarragon Chicken Legs, Baked Yams and Sauteed Green Beans
Tonight's dinner was Apple/Cranberry Sausage Stuffed Pork Chops, Cabbage Cakes, Green Beans and Applesauce.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF