Sunday 8 December 2013

Vancouver is not known for cold (relatively speaking) weather, but here it is anyway.  Beautiful blue skies, frigid wind from the north and -4.  I know, I know, that is not really cold compared to my parents -32 degrees in Alberta but, I'm sorry to say, Vancouverites are winter wimps.

I went out yesterday and finished my Christmas shopping - yay!  After Christmas shopping I had to pick up a few groceries at Save-On and I found three things you might be interested in:

- two prime rib roasts for the price of one [not grass fed but it's prime rib, people]



- Nutiva Coconut Manna (coconut butter) - delicious eaten with a spoon (tastes like candy, 
  especially if you mix one tsp. of cocoa powder with one Tbsp. of coconut butter),or use it in baking  
  for only $9.99 for a 445ml jar.  the last time I found coconut butter was at HomeSense and it was 
  $12.99 for a 454g jar.  It is great to see some of the products showing up in our local grocery stores 
  rather than having to get them from the States.  Though can anyone explain to me why one type of 
  coconut butter is measured in ml and one is in grams??


- 2lbs. Traditional Hutterite Traditional Wood Smoked Bacon (ingredients: pork,water, sea salt, 
  cultured celery powder, cane sugar and natural wood smoke) for $15.99.


Cold weather is the perfect time for a hearty stew.  Thanks to Youngest son, I have a source for grass-fed stew beef.

Paleo Beef, Butternut Squash, Green Bean Stew

2 lbs, beef stew meat (grass-fed is best if you can get it)
olive oil, ghee, coconut oil or bacon fat
1 litre of organic beef or chicken broth
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper
400g frozen organic butternut squash (available at local grocery stores) - or use fresh
400 g frozen cut green beans

  1. Brown the stew beef in oil of choice - don't crowd the meat or you will be steaming instead of browning.
  2. At this point you can transfer the browned stew meat to a slow cooker if you want.  I used my large Dutch oven.
  3. Add the beef or chicken broth, the thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Bring to a boil, hen lower heat and simmer for 3 hours, covered.
  5. Raise heat to medium and then add butternut squash and green beans, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
  6. Taste for seasoning and serve.  Stews always taste better the next day, if you have time.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF