Monday 30 December 2013

My first copy of Nom Nom Paleo's Food for Humans cookbook finally arrived (I had two on order - one from Chapters Indigo and one from Amazon).  I had pre-ordered one cookbook from Amazon months ago when it was first announced but when I was advised that Amazon wouldn't be shipping until January 2nd, 2014, I ordered a copy from Chapters Indigo on-line that they guaranteed would arrive before Christmas.

Of course, it didn't arrive until December 27th.  To top it off, when I went to cancel the one from Amazon, I discovered it shipped on December 17th (hasn't arrived yet).  When it does arrive, I am going to give it as a gift to Beautiful Oldest Granddaughter, as I am trying to get her interested in cooking more Paleo meals for her and her Dad.


Nom Nom Paleo's Food for Humans cookbook is probably the best designed Paleo cookbook I have bought in the past year and that is saying a lot as I have some great Paleo cookbooks.  The instructions for each dish are detailed enough for even the most beginner cooks with beautiful step-by-step pictures for most of the recipes.  It has some of my favourite recipes from Nom Nom's blog (like Magic Mushroom Powder), but lots of new recipes too - I can't wait to try the Walnut Prawns and Paleo Grandad has requested Siu Yoke (Crispy Roast Pork Belly).
















Now, on to the actual cooking.  A leftover ham bone and a cool winter day - a perfect combination for making Ham, Sweet Potato, Spinach Soup.  Pre-Paleo I always used the ham bone to make split pea soup, which I loved growing up.  Split peas (and lentils) are not in my version of Paleo (they cause digestive distress), so I had to do something else with the ham bone.   While it does take a little extra time to make the ham bone broth, this soup comes together very quickly and, if tomatoes are a problem for your digestion, bonus - this is not a tomato-based soup.

Ham, Sweet Potato, Spinach Soup
Makes 8 servings

1 ham bone, meat cut off and cubed into 1/2" chunks
1/2 large onion, skin left on
2 celery stalks, with the leaves still on even better
1 large carrot, cut into chunks
1 tsp. peppercorns
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
10 oz. of baby spinach (3 large handfuls)

  1. Place the ham bone in a large Dutch oven or a large slow cooker.  I started out with the bone in a small slow cooker but the bone stuck out and the lid wouldn't close, so I moved the bone to a Dutch oven.  My large Crockpot was already in use making Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua pork for dinner - pages 234-237 in my new cookbook.
  2. Add the onion, celery, carrots and           peppercorns.
  3. Cover with water to about an inch from the top of the pan.

   












     4.   Cover, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for two hours.
     5.   At this point you can remove (and discard) the ham bone, onion, celery, carrot and 
           peppercorns and chill the broth so you can skim off the extra fat. 
 OR

     6.   If you are hungry and want to eat the soup sooner, bring the broth to a boil again and 
           add the cubed sweet potatoes and cook until tender (about 10 minutes), covered.
     7.   Add the spinach and cubed ham and cook on medium heat for another ten minutes.

   
Enjoy!  It will taste even better the next day.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF