Sunday 4 August 2013

What to eat when you are re-decorating your kitchen?


Lesson learned - meal planning when your kitchen is covered in plastic and wet paint and countertop refinishing material is hard and I should have planned ahead with pre-made salads and pre-cooked meats. My defrost bowl is full of tasty grass-fed, free range meat, but I couldn't get to the cupboards and drawers to cook them.

While we do rent the townhouse we live in, it is still our home and we want it to be comfortable.  Other than being tired, there was nothing really wrong with our kitchen, so there was no way the landlord would do any redecorating, though we did just get a new kitchen floor because they had to pull up the carpet in the hallway and install tile due to a mold issue, so they re-did the kitchen floor at the same time.  I thought my week off from work would be a good time to redecorate, but I forgot to plan for cooking meals when I had no access to most of the cupboards, the sink and the dishwasher.


I managed with the microwave (though we are trying to get away from using it as much), the coffee maker, slow cooker and the blender.  My cutting board and compost box were set out on my dining-room table. Luckily I still had access to the stove and refrigerator, so I managed for three days while we refinished the cupboard doors. Once we started on the countertop, it got more difficult.

Last night, I was just too tired to figure out how to do a complete dinner without touching the countertops, so I caved and we went to Garry Point and picked up fish and chips from Pajo's.  Paleo Grandad was very pleased at this decision. There are a lot of restaurants in Richmond but, unless you can spend $50+ for dinner at high-end restaurants (and even then, you don't know where their meats and vegetables come from or what kinds of oil they use), the choices are limited. What I really wanted was a whole lobster from The Keg, but there's the $50+ problem.

Do you have a favourite clean eating restaurant in Richmond?

I made The Paleo Mom's Banana Muffins for breakfast this morning just using a blender and the oven:

  • 3 large (or 4 medium) overripe bananas
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Grease a muffin pan with palm shortening, butter or lard or line with silicone or paper liners.  I actually use a silicone muffin pan just because it’s so easy and ends up saving me tons of time!
  3. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor (yes, it really is that easy).  Blend or process about 1-2 minutes until you have a thick and smooth batter.
  4. Pour batter into prepared muffin pan.  You can make your cupcakes a bit bigger by dividing into 10 muffin cups or a bit smaller by dividing into 12 muffin cups.
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool completely.
I served it with the corned beef I made in the slow cooker yesterday. The muffins are so easy and delicious - it made a tasty breakfast.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF