Wednesday 3 July 2013

Day 26

I love coming home to Paleo surprises after a long day at work.  I guess technically they are not surprises as I ordered them but still it is nice when they actually arrive.

Yesterday the Lunchbots I had ordered a couple of weeks ago from the U.S.  There are some children's clothing stores in the Lower Mainland that carry them - not sure why just children's stores, I think they are great for adults who take there lunch to work everyday too.  After going through multiple glass food containers that chip and plastic containers that aren't good for you, the Lunchbots seemed like a good solution.  I got three different types;  the Lunchbot Uno, Lunchbot Duo and Lunchbot Trio.  I also got three dip/condiment containers.  All the containers are made of stainless steel.


I used them for the first time today for breakfast in the Lunchbot Trio
Gluten-free summer sausage, sauerkraut and blueberries
I had a lunch meeting at work today where everyone chowed down on humongous sandwiches, salad with a canola oil raspberry dressing and assorted treats, french macaroons, brownies, lemon squares, but I had brought my lunch in the Lunchbot Duo and was well fed.  The sandwiches did not appeal at all, neither did the desserts (Day 26 of Whole30 - it works).
Jicama, leftover turkey burger, leftover kale and sweet potatoes (from last night's dinner).
Dinner tonight was a Paleo Granny's Kitchen Sink Chicken Salad - using up odds and ends from the fridge.
Paleo Granny's Kitchen Sink Chicken Salad
But the coolest thing about this salad was what I found on the PaleOMG site - a mayonnaise recipe that takes - literally - less than 30 seconds to make - so great.  I am never going back to the drop by drop method of making mayo.  This is foolproof - no more mayo failures.  Here's how it works:

Equipment needed:  immersion blender and a tall, narrow container - that will fit the immersion blender.
Put one whole egg, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, some salt and pepper to taste in  the tall container and let it sit to come to room temperature for at least a half an hour.

Dump (yes, just dump it in) 2/3 cup light olive oil, or a nut oil of your choice (or a combination) - no vegetable oils (bad fat).

Insert the immersion blender in the tall container and turn it on.  It took 10 seconds before I had nice, thick, yummy mayo.  How easy is that?

The Paleo "surprise" I received tonight is The Autoimmune Paleo Plan:  A Revolutionary Protocol to Rapidly Decrease Inflammation and Balance Your Immune System by Anne Angelone, Licensed Acupuncturist.  The surprise was on me - it is a really small book 5" x 8" and only 54 pages of content.  It cost $8.99 plus shipping (hmmmm...).  I haven't read it yet, but it will probably take me about half an hour after I finish this blog.  I will let you know if it is worth the cost.  I was looking for a book with more information on autoimmune disease and a plan to eliminate the foods that may be causing it.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF