Tuesday 19 November 2013

Paleo Mother-in-Law's Casserole

Sometimes I know what is for dinner that night and sometimes I am planning on my drive home.  Last night was a planning on the drive home.  Thinking of everything I had in the fridge reminded me for some reason of my first mother-in-law's casserole recipe - we are talking late 60's early 70's.  As far as I can remember it doesn't have a name and I don't know where she got the idea, but during that time it was my go to casserole when I had leftover roast beef.  I didn't have leftover roast beef in the fridge, but I did have leftover slow cooker roast pork.


The recipe is simple, but not Paleo in it's original form but using the can't-do-without cauli-rice, it was easy and quick after spending an hour in traffic getting home.

Paleo Mother-in-Law's Casserole
(Serves 4)

2 lbs. of leftover roast pork (or beef)
1 small head of cauliflower, cleaned and broken into florets
1 - 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp. ghee (or butter if you can tolerate it)
1-2 Tbsp. curry powder of choice
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Run the cauliflower florets through the shredding blade of your food processor to make the cauli-rice.
    3.   Spread the cauli-rice in the bottom of a greased 9" x 13" baking dish and dot with ghee and
          sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    4.   Chop your leftover roast in chunks and process in the food processor just until it is smaller
          chunks - don't over process.  Or you can just cut the roast up into small pieces with a knife.
    5.   Spread the chopped roast over the cauli-rice mixture and spread evenly.
    6.   Pour the chopped tomatoes (juice and all) over the meat, cauli-rice mixture and spread evenly.
    7.   Sprinkle the curry powder over the top (use more or less depending on how spicy you like your
          food).
    8.   Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
    9.   Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes.
    10. Service with a Paleo Chutney like this one.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF