Friday 4 October 2013

What's for Breakfast?


I am happy to report my sleep is getting better - I have had several nights this week where I have slept for 7+ hours - what a difference it makes physically and mentally.  My favourite breakfast start is coffee with full fat coconut milk and coconut sugar which I drink on my way to work.  I take breakfast to eat an hour or so later.  Whole30 recommends that you have real food first, then coffee but I just can't seem to eat as soon as I get up.  So what have I done differently this week: switched to decaf coffee and worked a four day week (which I am trying to do regularly) - that's it.


A Paleo "thing" I have read about (and the Ancestral Chef has a video on how to make it) is bulletproof coffee for breakfast.  While I love my full fat coconut milk, I am not quite ready to try this recipe:
  • Hot coffee (regular or decaf - your choice)

  • 1 Tbsp. ghee
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
Whirl it all together in a blender or magic bullet and drink.  If you've tried it - let me know.

Breakfast can be tricky for some Paleo eaters, especially if you are not a fan of bacon and eggs every day. While Paleo Grandad would happily eat bacon and eggs everyday (though we have become very picky about the quality of the bacon and eggs we eat), I like to have some variety in my morning meal.

Leftovers are always a good option, as I think just having "meals" not breakfast, lunch and dinner makes perfect sense.  This morning we had leftover sausage, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato hodge podge from last night's dinner with eggs fried in ghee on top - delicious.

Other egg breakfast ideas:
  • scrambled eggs, sauerkraut and olives (love my fermented foods - great for digestion)
  • Easy Paleo Pie from Paleology101
  • Plantain Pancakes from The Paleo Mom (we had these for last Sunday's breakfast and loved them. They look like "real" pancakes and the recipe makes eight largish pancakes.  However, if you are not a fan of coconut oil you may not like them as much as we do - a friend tried them and picked out the coconut oil right away when Paleo Grandad and I never noticed it.)
  • Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes from Nourishing Days
  • Nut Free Banana Cupcakes also from The Paleo Mom - she has great recipes
  • Cinnamon French Toast Flat Bread - The Paleo Mom again.

Non-Egg Breakfasts:
  • Leftovers
  • Pumpkin Granola from The Spunky Coconut with coconut milk (full fat, of course)
  • Greek Yogurt with sliced almonds and a drizzle of maple syrup (if your digestion can handle dairy)
  • Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from And Love it Too.
  • Cold (gluten-free) lunch meat, sauerkraut
  • Vanilla Chia Pudding from Detoxinista
  • Sweet potato, bacon, avocado hash
  • Baked sweet potato with a dollop of almond (or other nut butter)
There are lots more out there on the www. - let me know if you find a good one to share.  Check me out on Pinterest - I pin all the Paleo recipes that sound good to me.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF